Sunday, May 01, 2005

Tagged

Since Nathanael at "The Rhine River" decided to share the love, here's my response to the book meme that's been going around.

* What book in Fahrenheit 451 would you want to be?

The Epistle to the Hebrews!

* Have you ever been really struck by a fictional character?

All the time; I strongly connect with fictional characters. Fortunately, I've never been so struck by a fictional character as to have a half-fictional illegitimate child with one, as happens in Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds.

* What was the last book that you bought?

Friday I bought: Pierre Duhem, German Science; Laurence Sterne, A Sentimental Journey; and Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds (you were wondering where that reference came from, weren't you?). I was hoping to find O'Brien's The Third Policeman, but in retrospect it was probably better that I didn't -- if I had found it I don't know whether I would have been able to prevent myself from squealing like an adolescent girl.

* What was the last book you read?

This and the next one were tough to answer, since I am usually reading several books at once and often finish them in quick succession. I'll go with Asimov's Prelude to Foundation, which I re-read after re-reading The Dune Trilogy, after reading Thackeray's Vanity Fair.

* Which books are you reading?

A sample:
Action and Conduct, by Stephen Brock: on Aquinas's theory of the will
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman , by Laurence Sterne
Oeuvres Philosophiques d'Arnauld (volume 2)

* Which five books would you take to a desert island?

1. The Bible
2. Summa Theologiae (Thomas Aquinas)
3. History of England (David Hume) -- it would give me a good chance to read it straight through.
4. A complete works of Euripides (in translation)
5. Divine Comedy (Dante)

As you can see, I have rather classical interests.

* To whom are you going to send this erm... let's say confession...and why? (three people)

Tell you what -- I'll let you volunteer. And if you don't, I can name a few names, like you, Wilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymity (but consistent pseudonyms allowed). Abusive comments, especially directed toward other commenters, will be deleted; abusive commenters will be hunted down and shot. By posting a comment you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed (although I do occasionally check to make sure that no comments are being overlooked).