Saturday, August 21, 2004

Houyhnhnm Land Preview

I have been thinking about moving Houyhnhnm Land for a while, and have finally begun to do so. Here is the preliminary form of the new site. The comments are not properly done yet (either in the pop-up window or on the permalink page), but I haven't decided yet whether I'll allow comments on H.L.

The template is from Elise Free (there's a link on the page under "credits"), and is called "Fava Beans and a Nice Chianti." So far I like it as a general format, despite the Hannibal-Lectorish sound of the template name; but to make it fit my needs I've tweaked a few things and there are a lot of things I'm going to have to figure out how to tweak. *sigh* This is the problem with computers; you're always already behind. Anyway, if you have suggestions, let me know. I might end up changing the template entirely, but that's for later, if at all.

Do let me know what you think. I haven't yet had a chance to look at it from different screens, browsers, etc., so if you notice an obvious problem, let me know so I can look into it.

Siris will be here with Blogger for a while longer; if I like WordPress enough, I can move it. The old H.L. address will still be around; I'll probably modify it for some other purpose. Rather than import I think I will move the posts from the old H.L. manually; it will take more time, but will, I'm thinking, be less hassle in the long run. In any case, the actual transfer of focus and function from the old to the new H.L. will probably not occur for at least a week.

Also let me know if you have any ideas for the functionality of the site. One thing I hope to do on the new H.L, once it gets up and running, is occasionally to have what I call Guest Pieces. Essentially they would be guest posts in which guests from various disciplines would write an overview summarizing an issue of potential interest to those studying early modern philosophy (a very vast field, since it encompasses philosophy, history, literature, science, theology, etc.) and give an annotated list of references for further reading and research. The primary idea is for experts in various fields to give students a heads-up on issues in those fields that might be worth studying more closely. I think I might even be able to get a big name here or there, given that the commitment required for a Guest Piece would be barely more than that required to write a medium-length abstract. In any case, that's for down the road....

Again, all suggestions are welcome!