Saturday, September 18, 2004

The World of Tomorrow

I saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow yesterday. It's fairly good, but I think it didn't entirely come together in the way it should have. It would make a better radio play than movie. But people don't listen much to radio plays anymore, do they? One of the radio stations here had classic radio theater for an hour every Sunday night, until they moved it to an AM station I can't get where I'm at (I was so annoyed that I switched radio stations entirely and never went back). We need more radio theater....

In any case, as a movie it manages to work fairly well. The heroine should have a bit more moxy, but Paltrow isn't bad. Law is quite good, and ends with a quip that, in the theater I was in, at least, had the whole audience laughing and clapping.