Monday, October 25, 2004

Philosophers' Carnival IV

The fourth Philosophers' Carnival is up at Doing Things With Words. My little contribution is here, on Hume. Also among the carnies:

* Jason Kuznicki at Positive Liberty has an argument for compatibilism - from evil robots, no less. Quite interesting actually; although, since I'm of the view that compatibilism seems plausible because of imaginative associations rather than real reasons (hopefully I'll eventually get around to discussing this), it wouldn't be a good argument to use against me. But I do think it has real potential; and since I don't think many compatibilist arguments have real potential, that's saying a lot.

* Lindsay Beyerstein at Majikthise is continuing her work on Quine's naturalized epistemology, and has a post trying to find the best way to pin down Jaegwon Kim's criticism of that project. If it's something in which you're interested, head over and see what she has.

* An excellent post on counterfactuals by Chris at Mixing Memory; I intended, I think, to say something about this post when it came out, but I never did, and have since forgotten what I wanted to say.

* Clark Goble's Gift of Jacques Derrida post at Mormon Metaphysics; the comments are especially worth browsing.

And others. The selection this time around seems very good.