Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Evening Note for Wednesday, April 5th

I watched Die Another Day for the first time today. Not great, but I'd watch it again for Rosamund Pike. I was wondering the entire time where I had seen her before; of course, she was in Doom, which I saw this weekend. In fact, I've been seeing a lot of movies, TV, DVD, and theater. I saw Dreamer and The 40-year-old Virgin this past weekend (expect something on the latter when I have the time to get around to it) and today I saw The Pink Panther in the theater (parts clunked, but other parts were funnier than I thought they would be).

Speaking of Ms. Pike. It turns out she's a good half-year younger than I am; which surprised me because she looks older than that in both movies. That's not an insult, by any means, since Pike looks stunning, and it's part of what makes her so (I've seen pictures of her where she looks much younger, and they aren't very flattering). But it appears to be impossible to express this point in American English in such a way that it does not sound like an insult.

Links Worth Noting:
* Motivated Cognition in Relationships at "Mixing Memory"
* Because I've been out and about, I forgot to link to the History Carnival. So here it is:
History Carnival 28 at "Patahistory"
* There has been some interesting discussion of Steve Fuller around the blogs that I never got a chance to mention, due to his article at Crooked Timber. See Fuller on Mooney on Science, Evaluating Scientific Credibility, and Journalism, Science, Politics, and Choosing Sides at "Adventures in Ethics" for intelligent discussion of the issues, with some great comment threads.

Currently Reading:
Balzac, Droll Stories
John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany