Friday, March 16, 2007

Three Poem Drafts

The second is a re-draft.

Orbit

We were orbiting a star the other day
(we fell and fall forever):
no up, no down, only in;
it was a liberating view;
only in and out and along.

In space they saw me shining,
spinning in the void.

You and I were walking home
as though nothing ever happens;
but we fell and fall forever.

Somewhere Beyond Saturn

Somewhere beyond Saturn
I sat thinking
of a seraph crucified
of a preaching to the fishes
of a wolf in hermit's habit

I dreamed for endless ages
of cat's eyes with emerald glitters
of an aspiration's whisper
of deathless men in spindizzy flight

I wandered in my dreaming
in the drifting of my ship

I was crafty in my crafting
weaving silk-thin moonbeams
tapestries lit with worlds
carving cities out of cloud
forming laws for things unseen
pen never touching paper

Somewhere beyond Saturn
my mind wandered without aim
seeing stars in sea-like darkness
feeling abstract cold
the geometry of humanity
in peripheral shadows and lights

I looked across the table
eyes unseeing with their visions
hovering on the edge of sense
a singular state upon me

Then a mockingbird sang a trill
startling me out of myself
and I finally poured the tea

Blue

I had a dream of Midas once,
where I touched and all was gold;
but then I went and woke myself
and shivered in the cold.

I have an angel on my shoulder,
but he's not the trusty kind;
he's apt to up and leave me
when I get into a bind.

I had a conscience once,
but it left me to my sin;
it went out to 'buy some cigarettes'
but never came back again.