Saturday, July 07, 2007

Seven Wonders

Several months ago I noted a contest going on to name the New Seven Wonders of the World, and gave my suggested list from the nominated candidates (in no particular order):

1. Angkor
2. The Pyramid of Kukulkan at Chichén Itzá
3. The Great Wall of China
4. Hagia Sophia
5. Machu Picchu
6. The Great Pyramids of Giza
7. The Taj Mahal

The results of the voting are in. Four of my suggestions got in; one of the final selections was one of which I said that I had no idea why it was even on the list; and one of the candidates on my list that I thought was a must-have did not make it. I still think that any list of Seven Wonders that does not include the Great Pyramids is asking not to be taken seriously. But it's interesting to see how the voting went.

**ADDED LATER**

Ahistoricality notes in the comments that in fact the Pyramids were taken out of the running at some point. Here's a news article indicating why.

The same organization is opening up nominations for the seven natural wonders of the world.