Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Poem Drafts

Cherry Blossoms

At home the cherry trees all bloom
with subtle pink and snowy white
beside the stream that plays and shines
and steals the shards of summer's light.
But I am chained, by duty bound,
across a never-ending sea,
till toil is done and I go home
to live quietly, and free.

Sunset Times

The sun is bright
at end of day
although its strength
has passed away;
although its might
has been made less,
the setting sun
is truly blessed.
So has the Lord
who rules the sky
for dying sun
set glory by,
and heartened man
(who too must die),
and strengthened hearts
at sunset times.

A Man of the Anicii

Ah, friends! Why do you speak at length
of all my money, fame, and power,
when but a season of unjust men,
when but a flashing moment's time,
can make such glory fall?

With flourish in flourishing days I penned
songs of joy to cheer the heart,
but now embark in black-sailed ship
to weep and write and sadder verse,
inspired by a blood-stained Muse.

She, at least, with music tongue,
will never leave, will never flee;
and she, who blessed my youthful verse,
now stands beside me in my curse,
to palliate my fatal end.

Fortune's favor fickle goods did grant,
and, feeling her kiss upon my cheek,
with bliss I lived, and one swift hour
of sadness and of sudden shame
would have sapped my soul.

But Fortune makes me now her foe;
she stares me down with steely gaze
until I am distressed with ache,
a craving for my looming Death,
which comes, yet does not come.