Saturday, May 17, 2008

Songs I Can't Get Out of My Head Today

Some because they're good, some because they're fun, some for who-knows-what-horrible-reason. It's quite a soundtrack. Try some of them out; misery loves company.

1. P. J. Harvey & Nick Cave, Henry Lee. A cheerful murder ballad. That's always the best kind!

2. Joe Scarbury, Believe It Or Not. Usually known as the theme from The Greatest American Hero.

3. Relient K, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. Useful to know in case anyone is tempted to ask you to babysit. They won't again.

4. Ellis Paul, God's Promise. The theology of Woody Guthrie.

5. Deana Carter, Strawberry Wine. I still remember when thirty was old....

6. The Wreckers, Crazy People. Bank robbers and killers, drunks and drug dealers, only crazy people fall in love with me.

7. Nightwish, Nemo. Nightwish's lyrics never quite make sense; but they somehow work.

8. Raymond Levesque, Quand les hommes vivront d'amour. When men live in love, that will be a great day; but you and I will be dead. Just so you know.

9. Roberta Flack, Killing Me Softly. Wow. And the killing thing is a metaphor this time.

10. Francis Cabrel, Je t'aimais, Je t'aime, et Je t'aimerai. Nu sur les galets? And yet the whole thing is quite splendid.

11. Wäinötär, Mesihelmi. Someday I will remind myself that I don't understand Finnish. But not today.

12. Leonard Cohen, First We Take Manhattan. You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline.

13. Dolly Parton, Jolene. Poetry set to music.

14. Neil Diamond, Solitary Man. Yes, Neil Diamond. I've had it to here being where love's a small word, a part-time thing, a paper ring.

15. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Mondo Bongo. Sha-la-la-la.

16. The Grass Roots, Let's Live for Today. Sha-la-la-la-la-la. (And if you watch The Office you might recognize someone.)