Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Two Poem Drafts

Cloudscape

The cloud was an elephant chasing a whale
with a sun-gloried body and a vaporous tail
and a turtle went swimming in deep azure sea
as I walked by the road with my heart careless-free.
Before and behind him in long, slinking style
swam the whisps and the puffs of two dread crocodiles
and the sun turned the whale into loving-cup lambs
who kissed and who played in the gaze of their dam;
then a boar and a reindeer did battle with horns
as the angels went sweeping and twilight was born.
Take time from your day, and the wonders you'll see
if you walk by the road with your heart careless-free!

A Subdued and Pure Crimson

My reason said to me,
I am overarched
this subtle arrow
that leaves no mark
has wounded me
with logical worship, blessed
to adore her name,
her deity confess,
and sacrifice
with all the love of ardent mind,
on altar place the best in me
that thought can find.

My spirit said to me,
Heaven is to have the eyes
to see her
in the draping light
and by seeing to be joined
in beatific vision
to her, my new happiness
and passion's wisdom,
who charges me with fire
and lifts me high
in sight's exaltation
to meet her eye to eye.

My instinct said to me,
I am undone
and will ever be troubled
by this troubling one
who turns me over;
and in my reins
I am cast into ache
of love's violent pains,
so pleasant yet harsh,
such a cruel delight
that beats through my veins
and leaps in my sighs.