Monday, July 18, 2011

HP&DH Pt. 2

The air conditioner in my apartment went down yesterday (for the second time this summer!), so, after submitting my maintenance request at the office, I decided to go to the theater to catch the last Harry Potter movie. Some thoughts.

* It was a bit jumbled; the things that had been changed in earlier movies really have added up, and there are any number of things that are just thrown together here.

* But overall, it works. They don't manage to make clear why Harry comes back, however, which is a pretty significant weakness -- it seems contrived.

* While nobody's going to focus on them, McRory and Bonham Carter do some really excellent acting here.

* Holy moly, Matthew Lewis has gotten tall! It's a long way from the short chubby Neville at the beginning. He just towers over everybody else.

* Can I count the ways in which the Smurf movie looks like it is going to be awful? No, because then I would have to remember the awful trailer.

It turned out that the air conditioner problem was just a faulty wire. So now I might be able to get some sleep tonight; 86 degrees Fahrenheit, which is what my apartment was last night, is a bit warm for sleeping.

2 comments:

  1. Catherine Hodge7:40 AM

    I won't play weather oneupsmanship by pointing out that we have no air conditioner and that it stormed last night and we had to shut all the window and that whatever allergies are peculiar to Ohio are hammering my face because 86 has been closer to our daytime high. Ah, Austin!

    It isn't hard to tower over Harry Potter, though; Daniel Radcliffe is 5' 5". Matthew Lewis has improved vastly as an actor, and I have to say that I was thrilled to the bottom of my match-making heart that the scriptwriters got Luna and Neville together.  C'mon, we all knew that was meant to be.

    I almost howled in sheer delight at Helena Bonham Carter playing Hermione playing Bellatrix. Perfect acting, just spot on, from the first nervous tuck of hair behind ear.

    I was impressed by Ciaran Hinds as Aberforth Dumbledore; I really was unsure while watching if Michael Gambon wasn't playing Aberforth as well as Albus. I wish there had been time to do a bit more with the back story there, but the movies were pretty packed even broken into the two segments.

    One thing we did miss, in the pensieve section, was where Snape calls Lily Evans a mudblood. I think that was a serious omission, and simply made her selection of James Potter over Snape a whim of fancy, rather than a clear choice against Snape's moral turpitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. branemrys11:44 AM

    I am actually sort of lucky; it would have to get very, very hot outside for the temperature inside to get above 87 during the day, so while it can get uncomfortable, it doesn't turn into a complete hotbox. Good insulation, I think, although that also means that the apartment doesn't cool down much on its own, either.

    Bonham Carter really did nail the Hermione-as-Bellatrix role; there was once or twice, when she was at an angle, where I had to double check that it wasn't actually Emma Watson in good makeup.

    ReplyDelete

No anonymity (but consistent pseudonyms allowed). Abusive comments, especially directed toward other commenters, will be deleted; abusive commenters will be hunted down and shot. By posting a comment you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed (although I do occasionally check to make sure that no comments are being overlooked).