Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Semi-Non-Out-Of-Touch

Back in the Long Ago Times, internet quizzes were a common feature of blogs. They contributed absolutely nothing but silliness, but I occasionally miss them. So here's an internet quiz to tell you whether you are out of touch in an upper class bubble:

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 9 and 12.

In other words, even if you're part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America.

I found some of the questions rather funny. Neither I nor my nonexistent spouse have ever bought a pick-up truck, so I picked 'no'; but my dad, my sister, several of my cousins, and lots of people I know (I live in Texas) have. I would never, ever, ever stock my own refrigerator with cheap beer because I rarely drink at all, and would take forever to get through it. I also don't talk politics with friends or family -- I find it excruciatingly boring -- so, although things come out here and there, I really don't have a clue what the political views of most of my friends are, much less any strong and wide-ranging disagreements. And I avoid hanging out with people smoking cigarettes because I am allergic to cigarette smoke -- I have a fairly strong constitution, but exposure to cigarette smoke for any extended stretch of time is one of the few things that can knock me down but good.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathon8:23 PM

    I only scored a 6.  I guess I'm pretty out-of-touch.  I have a hard time wanting to be "in touch" with mainstream America right now.

    ReplyDelete

No anonymity (but consistent pseudonyms allowed). Abusive comments, especially directed toward other commenters, will be deleted; abusive commenters will be hunted down and shot. By posting a comment you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed (although I do occasionally check to make sure that no comments are being overlooked).