Saturday, February 11, 2012

Buckley's

I don't know if it's a bug I've been made susceptible to by the oscillations of hot and cold, or if it's allergies, but I've come down with a nasty cough -- so nasty I had to break out the Buckley's. Buckley's has as its slogan, "Tastes Awful. And It Works" and had the very famous and quite funny advertising campaign in which Frank Buckley, the son of the founder, would just walk up to the microphone, say, "I wake up with nightmares that someone gives me a taste of my own medicine," or "Our largest bottle is 200 ml; anything more would be cruel," and then shuffle off.  And they run ads saying things like, "People swear by us. And at us." Or "Feared by more people than ever before." Pure genius. I find it works pretty well. But with that advertising campaign -- even if it didn't work, I'd want it to.

The funny thing is, I've always thought it tasted pretty decent, and am apparently the only one on the planet who thinks this. When I was growing up, my mom always used Robitussin and I hated the stuff. It even took me ages to get used to red wine because at some point I would take a mouthful and it would suddenly start reminding me of Robitussin.