Saturday, April 06, 2013

Requests?

In a couple of months we'll be at the ninth anniversary of this weblog, and I thought that I might do something a little different to mark the occasion this year, and do request posts here and there in the lead-up to it. Obviously I can't promise to do just any sort of request; I may find I have nothing to say (this has generally been true in fields like politics) or that it's a topic that I clearly should leave to others for whatever reason. And quite obviously I'm in no way an expert on everything, so even if I do have something to say, it may not be very important or earth-shattering or even more than an approximation. But I do tend to collect odds-and-ends, and I've had many years of collecting odds-and-ends, so it's very possible that I might have something relevant somehow to a topic, knocking around in my head or the endless notes that I take, that might conceivably be interesting to someone. And even if I don't have anything immediately on-hand, there are fields (especially concerning the history of philosophy) where I probably have something that would allow me to bridge to at least some basic ideas without killing myself in terms of research load.

So, again, any requests? I have interests ranging from sacramental theology to philosophical atheism to informal logic to feminist epistemology to literature to -- well, if you read the blog, you have at least a rough idea of the extent of my interests. What would you be interested in reading about?

10 comments:

  1. Paul H.10:35 PM

    I have a few. First, I would like to see you finish your series on the Natural Law. I also remember you saying that you though Scotus's argument for the existence of God was a sound demonstration; I would like to see your presentation of it (as well as answers to common objections, etc). I may have more latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a few request ideas, Brandon, though split up into pop culture topics, like, some posts on Tolkien, and some serious ones, such as a revival of the "Virtue/Vice Thursday" series. I'll try to think up some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David3:25 AM

    If possible, a discussion of liberation theology would be lovely,

    ReplyDelete
  4. branemrys8:59 AM

    We could probably use an Ulsterman around to knock some sense into us. A few of these questions (and whether I'd be able to answer them in any useful way) would probably depend (at least somewhat) on which part of the US you are thinking of coming to. The US is about the size of Europe -- less crowded and less diverse, but there can be significant regional differences. Are you thinking Northeast (New England), Southeast (Deep South), Southwest, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. branemrys10:08 AM

    Nice! I'm pretty sure I can come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PoorJeremiah4:27 PM

    You mentioned about the imagined specter of something called "Absolute Divine Simplicity" in regards to some interpretations of Augustine, could you expound on what it is and how it differs from the received idea of Divine Simplicity?

    ReplyDelete
  7. JohnA7:01 PM

    Your general take on Christian philosophical and theological perspectives outside of Thomism (Platonic/Augustinian, Scotist, phenomenological, etc.). I've noticed that you have been open to critiques of Thomism in your comments on "The Smithy," for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. James Chastek8:08 PM

    Finish the four part exposition of natural law.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MrsDarwin2:29 PM

    Two things come to mind:


    1. As a convert, what in your religious upbringing most prepared you to become Catholic; and, related, what do you feel Catholics ought to be emphasizing more in religious education to be able to better interact with non-Catholics?


    2. I'd like to hear your take on the current "value of a liberal-arts degree"/"is college a waste of money"/"why don't we all just go to vocational school?" flaps, or, if you've already written on that, a link to your older posts.


    Congrats on nine years! Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's my interest. I'm a student of experimental psychology. I'd like to know whether you think current findings of modern psychology (cognitive mostly, but perhaps social or even behavioral) could be re-interpreted in more Scholastic terms. Like, if I wanted to be a Thomist or Scotist psychologist, how would I read experimental findings or theories differently?

    ReplyDelete

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page, or the third party commenting system has not yet completely loaded; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed.