Sunday, May 26, 2013

Fortnightly Books, May 26

I've taken a bit of a break from the fortnightly book, but I think it's a good idea to get back into it. For this time around, I'll be doing two, because they look like relatively manageable reads, by the same author. They aren't a genre I read much in, so we'll see how it goes. The two books, by Dale Brown, are (with their summaries from Wikipedia):

Storming Heaven - The absence of an air-defense network on US soil prompts terrorist Henri Cazaux to use airliners covertly equipped with bombs in attacking many airports. When the danger goes national, Hammerheads protagonist Ian Hardcastle, now an admiral, is tasked to get the network up and running to stop Cazaux's activities.

Shadows of Steel - In May 1997, the US initiates covert operations to stop Iran's new carrier task force from controlling the Persian Gulf sea lanes. Now running a diner in Sacramento after the fiasco depicted in Day of the Cheetah, Patrick McLanahan is recalled to active duty to fly a B-2 mission over Iran.

Beyond the author, they don't have much to do with each other, being in two distinct series. They just happen to be paperbacks that were in my grandfather's library that I've never actually read. And I've been doing some military reading recently, and this keeps up the theme, so they seemed good candidates.