Thursday, August 29, 2013

Music on My Mind

Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

One of my courses (four different ones this term -- two kinds of Intro and two kinds of Ethics!) is discussing aesthetic paradoxes as a sort of warm-up to the term; so to lead into the paradox of tragedy, I had them listen to this and write a paragraph on why anyone would like a song about people drowning in Lake Superior.


  1. MrsDarwin9:10 AM

    My dad, the squarest of the squares, retains few cultural artifacts from the 70s, but being the son of a naval architect, the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald resonated with him more than most events of that undistinguished decade, and this song was one of the few "oldies" on the radio that he could identify. When I was 17 we went up to the shipwreck museum along Lake Superior and saw the Edmund Fitzgerald display. Lake Superior was bitterly cold even in August; it must have been a horrible death to drown in it in November.

    This tune must be a popular shipwreck ditty. My brothers' Irish band used to sing it as I Wish I Was Back Home In Derry. You can hear Christy Moore's version here.

  2. branemrys4:58 PM

    I don't think that's one I've heard before.


Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page, or the third party commenting system has not yet completely loaded; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed.