Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Music on My Mind



Billy Joel, "No Man's Land". Sirius Radio has been doing a temporary 'Billy Joel Channel', so I've been giving the classic radio theater a rest during drives and listening to Billy Joel. It's rather interesting, since I've heard literally all of my life; his first hit predates my birth by half a decade. And while he's one of those musicians who is more good than great, he has a lot of songs of very different kinds and as a rule they're not awful, and some of them are very good. He tends to do best with simple melodies, like And So It Goes, which I think is probably his best song (although I am at heart a romantic sap), but sometimes he does very well with one which just lets loose and has fun with some genre or other, as with this one. When it came on I discovered that I knew all the words to it; I had the River of Dreams album (still have it somewhere -- on cassette tape!) from which it comes, and I listened to it quite a bit in college. Apparently some of it stuck.

2 comments:

  1. MrsDarwin10:42 AM

    And So It Goes has the air of Americana hymnody, shot through with a bit of Noo Yawk for good measure.


    For the most part, I like Billy Joel. For The Longest Time is probably my favorite, but I'm a sucker for snappy harmonies. However, I've always hated She's Always A Woman to Me for perpetuating the most irritating stereotypes of the bitchy female, and I can't forgive him for pairing the detestable lyrics of Only The Good Die Young with the catchiest, most toe-tapping melody.


    On a completely unrelated matter, I blame you for the fact that I now own a copy of The Stupids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. branemrys11:59 AM

    Yes, I was listening to the channel this morning on the drive to work and Only the Good Die Young came on, and was thinking much the same -- the lyrics really are quite detestable, so that anyone making that argument in real life is someone you should get away from as soon as you can, but the music is so catchy that the lyrics just fly by without catching your attention.
    I suppose the blame is completely just! It's all part of Mister Sender's nefarious plan for world domination.

    ReplyDelete

No anonymity (but consistent pseudonyms allowed). Abusive comments, especially directed toward other commenters, will be deleted; abusive commenters will be hunted down and shot. By posting a comment you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed (although I do occasionally check to make sure that no comments are being overlooked).