Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Music on My Mind



Billy Joel, "No Man's Land". Sirius Radio has been doing a temporary 'Billy Joel Channel', so I've been giving the classic radio theater a rest during drives and listening to Billy Joel. It's rather interesting, since I've heard literally all of my life; his first hit predates my birth by half a decade. And while he's one of those musicians who is more good than great, he has a lot of songs of very different kinds and as a rule they're not awful, and some of them are very good. He tends to do best with simple melodies, like And So It Goes, which I think is probably his best song (although I am at heart a romantic sap), but sometimes he does very well with one which just lets loose and has fun with some genre or other, as with this one. When it came on I discovered that I knew all the words to it; I had the River of Dreams album (still have it somewhere -- on cassette tape!) from which it comes, and I listened to it quite a bit in college. Apparently some of it stuck.