Sunday, April 06, 2014

Winter Soldier

Just got back from Captain America: Winter Soldier. It was very good. It's not so much a comic book movie as a spy thriller with comic book elements, which works well with this particular character. A few basic thoughts:

(1) Chris Evans is as perfect a Captain America here as he has been elsewhere. Johanssen's Black Widow finally gets some serious character room in between acrobatics. Mackie as the Falcon is an excellent newcomer. A surprisingly good minor role is found in Jenny Agutter's Councilwoman Hawley -- we've seen her before, very briefly, in Avengers, and she's not a crucial character here, but Agutter gets one stunningly good scene.

(2) The Falcon didn't quite work out, I think; Mackie plays him very well, but I don't think they've found the look or quite the right use of him. He just seemed thrown in.

(3) The shaky-cam presentation is sometimes a little distracting; at least, there are times when you need to know what's going on but things are happening too quickly and not in a clear enough manner. But on the other side, a lot of the stunts were done by the actors themselves, and that really makes some of the scenes much better than they would otherwise have been.

(4) The movie is through-and-through a sequel, but it is the strongest sequel in the Marvel franchise so far.

(5) There are a lot of little in-jokes in this movie, but most of them blended very well into the background; I'm sure I missed more than a few. Look in particular for the Pulp Fiction allusion.

2 comments:

  1. Enbrethiliel7:38 AM

    +JMJ+

    I admit that I never read the comic books, so I'm probably not the best person to cast Steve Rogers, but one problem I had with both the first Captain America movie and The Avengers (which is also the reason I hesitate to see Winter Soldier) is that Chris Evans couldn't really convince me that his character was from the 1940s. (It was especially bad in the first movie, when Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, etc. blended right in.) I'm not totally panning Evans: I think the writing in The Avengers was kind of stacked against him, although he managed to pull off his lines, anyway; but when it's time for non-verbal acting, he looks so modern to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. branemrys10:58 AM

    I haven't really had that problem, but I suppose I don't pay all that much attention to the nonverbal side of acting, beyond being background.

    ReplyDelete

No anonymity (but consistent pseudonyms allowed). Abusive comments, especially directed toward other commenters, will be deleted; abusive commenters will be hunted down and shot. By posting a comment you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed (although I do occasionally check to make sure that no comments are being overlooked).