Saturday, May 17, 2014

Links of Note

* Sarah Emsley's Mansfield Park event has begun.

* The pleasing detail of Mansfield Park and its painting-like yet active description at "Wuthering Heights"

* In the Image of God: John Comenius and the First Children's Picture Book at "The Public Domain Review." A good discussion, although they miss the obvious point that Orbis Sensualium Pictus, The Sensible World Depicted, is making in part the point that understanding the sensible world requires understanding that on which it depends.

* Speaking of which, Rebecca Stark discusses being in the image of God at "Out of the Ordinary"

* The 163rd Philosophers' Carnival at "The Indian Philosophy Blog"

* Mark Okrent on academia, teleology, perception, and pragmatism at "Figure/Ground Communication".

* A look at Faberge eggs.

* Charles Sonnenburg of SFDebris was interviewed on the subject of science fiction a while back at "Former People"

* Karsten Harries is interviewed on Heidegger and the philosophy of architecture at 3:AM.

* Randall Colton begins discussing the seven acts of friendship that Aquinas considers when looking at the Holy Spirit's work in rational creatures; he starts it off with the first of the seven, sharing a life.

* At the SEP, Peter Simons discusses Jan Łukasiewicz, the great Polish logician.

* Recent articles at the IEP:

Eve Browning on Xenophon

David Simpson on Blaise Pascal (very nicely detailed -- one of the mistakes people make with Pascal is to leave things out that shouldn't be left out)

Christopher Lutz on Alasdair MacIntyre

* One of the things I want to do this summer is to re-read all the Platonic dialogues and Xenophon's Socratic dialogues, a desire that has increased since a number of them have been coming up in various contexts, anyway. And since taking a difficult task and making it approach impossibility is my natural modus operandi, I've taken into my head that it might be a nice change to read through as much as possible of the Confucian Thirteen Classics as well -- certainly at least the Four Books (Great Learning, Doctrine of the Mean, Analects, and Mencius). Does anybody have any recommendations for translations of the Great Learning and the Doctrine of the Mean?

5 comments:

  1. Enbrethiliel10:41 AM

    +JMJ+

    I have SO many reading projects going on, but if you reread the Platonic dialogues next month, I'm going to try to keep up. (Cue laugh track at my hubris here) Ever since a friend got me to read the Meno last month, I've been curious about what else I've been missing. I almost bought my own copy of the dialogues so that I could keep going, but as usual, I got hung up on not knowing which translation or edition to get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Itinérante4:04 PM

    I am wondering if we can find these online. I only read one book for Plato, The Last Days of Socrates, which I really really enjoyed and even memorized parts of it. I would like to read more and this looks very interesting (I hope I will be able to understand it though! ). The problem is if these are not available online they might take a long time to be ordered to my part of the world.
    Ps. I am sorry if I bring trouble or bother with my stupid questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. branemrys5:16 PM

    Not at all. There are very good translations of all the more important dialogues online at the Perseus Project:

    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?q=Plato%27s+dialogues

    That's for English. In French, there are a lot of translations, some new, some old, at Gallica:

    http://gallica.bnf.fr/Search?ArianeWireIndex=index&p=1&lang=EN&q=Platon&x=0&y=0

    Both websites are a bit clumsy to use, but I'm sure there are other places online where translations can be found fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Itinérante1:44 AM

    Oh thank you this is very kind and very helpful. I will try to read them in English (ambitious!) first and use the French as a reference in case. (And I can get to practice my dead Greek maybe! I can still make out the letters but sadly not the meaning).
    Will you be posting your thoughts on these later? (I will keep a small journal for mine, but my brain is so much less interesting and ordered than yours)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enbrethiliel4:41 AM

    +JMJ+


    Thanks, Brandon! I've also saved the link to the Perseus project, since I'll probably be reading all of them online.

    ReplyDelete

No anonymity (but consistent pseudonyms allowed). Abusive comments, especially directed toward other commenters, will be deleted; abusive commenters will be hunted down and shot. By posting a comment you agree to these terms and conditions.

Please understand that this weblog runs on a third-party comment system, not on Blogger's comment system. If you have come by way of a mobile device and can see this message, you may have landed on the Blogger comment page; your comments will only be shown on this page and not on the page most people will see, and it is much more likely that your comment will be missed (although I do occasionally check to make sure that no comments are being overlooked).