Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Lent I

And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, "Father, I thank thee that thou has heard me. I knew that thou hear me always, but I have said this on account of the people standing by, that they may believe that thou didst send me." (John 11:41-42)

Christ's way of praying is appropriate, because Jesus lifted up his eyes, that is, he lifted up his understanding, directing it in prayer to the Father above. As for us, if we wish to pray according to the example of Christ's prayer, we have to raise the eyes of our mind to him by turning them from the memories, thoughts and desires of present things. We also lift our eyes to God when we do not rely on our own merits, but hope in his mercy alone....

[Thomas Aquinas, Commentary on the Gospel of John, Chapters 6-12, Larcher & Weisheipl, trs., Catholic University Press of America (Washington, D.C.: 2010) p. 246.]