Thursday, December 22, 2022

Megalynei

And as Elisabet heard Mariam's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb and Elisabet was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she exclaimed with a great shout and said, "You are to be praised among women, and the fruit of your belly is to be praised. And why should the mother of my Lord come to me? See! For as the sound of your greeting entered my ears, the infant leaped exultantly in my womb. And she is to be blessed who has believed that there will be a completion to what the Lord has spoken to her."

 And Mariam answered: 

My soul greatens the Lord
and my spirit exults in God my Savior.
For He has concerned Himself
with the lowliness of His servant-girl.
See! From now on, all ages will bless me
because the Mighty has done great things in me,
and His name is holy,
and His mercy to generations on generations
to those in awe of Him.
He exercises strength with His arm,
He has scattered the reasonings of haughty hearts.
He has deposed mighty men from thrones
and elevated the lowly.
The needy He has filled with goodness,
and the rich He has dismissed empty.
He has aided Israel His servant, remembering mercy,
as He said to our fathers,
to Abraham and his descendants perpetually.

[Luke 1:46-55, my rough translation. Megalynei is an interesting word; it literally means to increase or make great. The word can figuratively mean 'extol', i.e., 'expound the greatness of', as it certainly does here, but the repeated play on 'great', 'lowly', and 'mighty' through the song shows that the word was very deliberately chosen as a figure of speech due to its literal meaning: The Virgin makes the Lord great in her soul because He has done great things in her.]