Saturday, March 09, 2024

Two Poem Drafts

 Humilitas

Look inside and find your quiet self --
lay down yourself to be the stable bridge --
be the earth that grows the fields of grain --
walk the path ahead and climb the needful ridge --

the violent stroke absorb that better things endure --
refesh the flowers, though with flowing tears --
see your wish as nothing more than wish --
and know your fears to be nothing but your fears --

and inherit with a meekness clear and pure
enduring earth, without which none endure.


Mercy

How consistent is your splendid grace in all;
I beg your mercy, therefore weep for me.
On generous heart the lowly ever call
as sailors lost on stormy, foam-flecked sea.
I love your eyes; their pity overflows
like rain upon the fields that beg for love.
I am but dust where winding serpent goes,
and you are sun and moon and stars above.
I see your light and pain no longer feel.
I beg your aid, which comes like vernal breeze.
The  heat upon my skin now sheds away
as you my misery like a blessed robber steal.
True love can only live when mercy renders ease
and strips away all harm like sun at break of day.