Thursday, June 03, 2004

Round and Round We Go

Yesterday Julie and I performed a dialogue in PHL 210 on the question of whether Descartes is guilty of circular reasoning in the Third Meditation. This is an old objection, going back to the very beginning. Both Julie and I agree that it's inaccurate, but Julie thinks there is a higher-level structural flaw in the argument, while I do not. This is ultimately due to different interpretations of the basic intent of the Meditations. I've put the dialogue up on the class website. Julie wrote most of it, although I contributed elements. It should be kept in mind that neither character exactly fits either of us, but by the end of the dialogue Rene approximates my view and Marin approximates Julie's. (In class, however, I performed Marin's part and Julie performed Rene's).