Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Two Poem Drafts

How Strange Is That?

I felt I fell in love with you today; how strange is that?
Waiting for the bus, we stop and stay and chat,
then suddenly and subito my head is overturned,
unbalances my body and makes my heart to burn.
I'm not even sure I really caught your name!
Isn't this a strange, mischievous game,
where something so ungrounded and so swift
can throw everything off kilter like some new-born stellar rift!
That meeting you but once, but for a little while,
I am haunted by your eyes and the flashing of your smile!
That hardly knowing any part of you, nonetheless my brain
spins out imaginations as though your heart were known and gained!
But it all will come to nothing like the glory of the earth,
and if it pass away, what is this feeling worth?
It is a little fizzle, a little frenzy in heated brain,
and when it ever passes, nothing will remain
but a strange, wry self-suspicion and a memory that will fade
of a day that I was victim to fortune's careless play.

Somnus

Strange are the nights when one's drowses are fleeting,
Dancing swiftly across the brain like zephyrs,
Restless breezes displaced like nomad nations,
Vagrant wanderers floating down the rivers,
Homeless, friendless, and everywhere unsettled.
Can you catch the elusive god as evening
Shuffles over the swaying bridge of twilight?
Can you lay in your mind a trap, such ensnaring pitfall,
Even Somnus himself would find it a challenge?
No: for Sleep, who is like his friends, the Muses,
Like his brother, who gathers dying spirits,
Walks the path he elects and strikes whom he will.