Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Two Poem Drafts

Herteitr, 'Battle-Glad', is a name for Odin, also known as the god of twelve names. Warrior-Fields, Folkvangr, is the hall in which Freyja receives the noble dead who die in battle -- the Valkyries divide those who die in battle, with half going to Odin in Valhalla and half to Freyja in Folkvangr.

Herteitr

The raven's wine is thickly flowing,
hotly pouring, redly streaming,
the ravensong is loudly cawing
far and wide across the plain.

The maidens of the shield are dressing
groomsmen for their final wedding,
in the carts they all go riding
to a new and night-kissed home.

The choosers all the men were watching,
to the Father heroes bringing,
to the Warrior-Fields were taking,
all the hearts most sure and true.

The twelve-named god the hosts was blinding:
wolves and crows are merry-feasting,
the raven's wine is thickly flowing
in white and grinning chalice-bowls.

Pause

The watchful almond stands and waits,
the waters wave,
the winds are whipping through your hair,
and I, aware,
so very, deeply, in myself aware,
am standing,
heart laid bare,
and I am waving, too.
My heart is whipping deep within,
the spirit washing through,
and I am waiting,
I know not why,
but I am waiting for you.