Thursday, July 01, 2021

Two Poem Re-Drafts

Neoplatonism

I saw the beauty of your face,
an emblem born of higher grace;
I heard the beauty of your song,
for harmony my heart then longed.

Your eyes in vision ravish me
as signs of truth's eternity;
I am undone by glancing stars
and rise through them to splendors far.

All things of sense must shadows be
of things more real, of hopes more free,
and those who gaze with seeing eyes
know higher truths and thoughts more wise.

The eye of vice, so dark and proud,
is covered over by a cloud;
who would the good and splendid know
must good and splendid surely grow.

All beauty wakes the heart's desire
and flames it ardent; searing fire
then rises higher, above the earth,
to brightest light and purest worth.



Everything Flows to the Sea


Rise up my darling, come dancing with me;
like the wave of your hair, let your spirit float free;
I wish this sweet moment would evermore be,
but everything flows to the sea.

All is in motion and nothing is still,
nor can we stay it by power of will;
we cascade through life and tumble until
everything flows to the sea.

As the wind through the grass
will rejoice and then pass,
so everything flows to the sea.

As the earth ever turns
and the wood swiftly burns,
so everything flows to the sea.

As the day turns to night
and all dreams take to flight,
so everything flows to the sea.

Cast off your shoes and leap lightly along,
fill all your days with the splendor of song;
one day in darkness you'll join the great throng,
for everything flows to the sea.

Sing with me now, my love, sing with me:
Everything flows to the sea.