Sunday, May 01, 2005

Tagged

Since Nathanael at "The Rhine River" decided to share the love, here's my response to the book meme that's been going around.

* What book in Fahrenheit 451 would you want to be?

The Epistle to the Hebrews!

* Have you ever been really struck by a fictional character?

All the time; I strongly connect with fictional characters. Fortunately, I've never been so struck by a fictional character as to have a half-fictional illegitimate child with one, as happens in Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds.

* What was the last book that you bought?

Friday I bought: Pierre Duhem, German Science; Laurence Sterne, A Sentimental Journey; and Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds (you were wondering where that reference came from, weren't you?). I was hoping to find O'Brien's The Third Policeman, but in retrospect it was probably better that I didn't -- if I had found it I don't know whether I would have been able to prevent myself from squealing like an adolescent girl.

* What was the last book you read?

This and the next one were tough to answer, since I am usually reading several books at once and often finish them in quick succession. I'll go with Asimov's Prelude to Foundation, which I re-read after re-reading The Dune Trilogy, after reading Thackeray's Vanity Fair.

* Which books are you reading?

A sample:
Action and Conduct, by Stephen Brock: on Aquinas's theory of the will
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman , by Laurence Sterne
Oeuvres Philosophiques d'Arnauld (volume 2)

* Which five books would you take to a desert island?

1. The Bible
2. Summa Theologiae (Thomas Aquinas)
3. History of England (David Hume) -- it would give me a good chance to read it straight through.
4. A complete works of Euripides (in translation)
5. Divine Comedy (Dante)

As you can see, I have rather classical interests.

* To whom are you going to send this erm... let's say confession...and why? (three people)

Tell you what -- I'll let you volunteer. And if you don't, I can name a few names, like you, Wilson.