Wednesday, May 23, 2007

161-5

I saw this at DarwinCatholic.

Grab the nearest book.

Open it to page 161.
Find the fifth full sentence.
Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
Don't search around looking for the coolest book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.


I have a lot of books next to me at the moment, though, all within arm's reach, so I thought I'd do it for each of them. In roughly the order of their closeness:

Gregory Palamas, The One Hundred and Fifty Chapters (Robert Sinkewicz, tr.): He indicated what we once were and what we shall become through him in the future age if we choose here below to live according to his ways as much as possible, as John Chrysostom says. (Speaking of the Transfiguration)

Alasdair MacIntyre, Edith Stein: I have constructed the best overall narrative that I can, but a better historian might well do better.

Euripides, Ten Plays (Paul Roche, tr.): And from me, hear this: I now praise Apollo, whom I would not praise before, because he gives me back the child he once ignored. (Creusa, in Ion)

Dorothy L. Sayers, The Complete Stories: Now why shouldn't it be full? (from "The Vindictive Story of the Footsteps that Ran")

Nicolas Malebranche, The Search after Truth (Lennon & Olscamp, trs.): To maintain this union God has commanded us to have charity for one another.

Alasdair MacIntyre, Whose Justice? Which Rationality?: The guardianship of the order of justice is one of the specific functions of the pope, and that guardianship imposes a duty of respect and obedience upon secular rulers. (Speaking of Gregory VII's view of the papal role)

Walter M. Miller, Jr., A Canticle for Leibowitz: Who are you talking about?

Alasdair MacIntyre, Three Rival Versions of Moral Enquiry: No one's thought is treated as a whole and therefore the relationship of individual theses and arguments as parts to wholes never appears. (Speaking of The Cambridge History of Later Medieval Philosophy.)