Thursday, April 10, 2008

Zombie Invasion

A blogospheric discussion of reductionism recently became overrun with zombies. Yes, there is actually an entry in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on zombies. Because that's the image of philosophy we're going for, voodoo reasoning.

I confess to being slightly torn. I very much dislike the zombie argument; it presupposes all sorts of things that I think are just plainly false, and comes to a conclusion I think just plainly absurd; and I would marvel at it if it weren't for the fact that philosophers insist on a lot of absurd things these days, like material conditionals and Bayesianism and qualia. But some of the arguments being proposed against zombies in the Great Zombie Battle are just so muddled in their own right that my underdog-sympathizing tendencies are starting to kick in. But I think I can resist them. In any case, someone should write a science fiction story based on the idea, so that at least one good thing will come from the zombie argument.

Zombie Rationality (Philosophy, et cetera)

Zombies! Zombies? (Overcoming Bias)

Epiphenomenalism and Twin-Chambers-Zombie (A brood comb)

The Aliens and the Zombies (A brood comb)

Zombies Obsessed with Using the Word 'Consciousness' (A brood comb)

Episode 4: Being Right by Being Wrong (A brood comb)

Zombie Responses (Overcoming Bias)

The Generalized Anti-Zombie Principle

philosophical zombie parade of links (my mind on books)*

Zombie Cage Match (The Uncredible Hallq)

The Inconceivability of Zombies (Philosophy Sucks!)

Munching on Chalmers's Brain (Madness & Games)

GAZP vs. GLUT (Overcoming Bias)

Non-Physical Zombies (Philosophy Sucks!)

How To Imagine Zombies (Philosophy, et cetera)

How Not to Imagine Zombies (Philosophy Sucks!)