Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bleg

It's turning out to be a busy week, and I'll be on a confirmation retreat trying not to be driven insane by high school students this weekend, and then I have family coming next week, so it's a busy time for me; I don't know how much posting there will be. My busy times tend to have weird stretches of blank space where I can't start anything big, so there probably will still be some, but it's likely to be off and on for the next week and a half.

I wanted, however, while I remember and still definitely have time, to ask a question. In April for the confirmation class I'm helping out with, I'll be doing the big session on the Gifts of the Spirit. And one of the things I'll be doing is having them pray in English the Veni, Sancte Spiritus (the 'Golden Sequence' for Pentecost, not to be confused with the hymn Veni, Creator Spiritus). But I would like to have them hear it in the original Latin, in either Gregorian chant or a polyponic setting. It really needs to be good quality -- clear and beautiful -- since I doubt most students will have heard really good chant, whether Gregorian or any other, and whether they ever have a taste for it or not, they should at least have some sense of what it is like at its best. I don't have anything that would work on hand, and listening to versions online that I might buy the CD for, I haven't come across anything that is close to stunning. So does anyone know of any very good versions of Veni, Sancte Spiritus?