Sunday, June 23, 2024

Fortnightly Book, June 23

 A few years ago, I got a copy of Eric Nguyen's Things We Lost to the Water; I don't remember the exact details why, but I had read a description that made it sound interesting and I was buying some other books anyway when it came up as a special offer of some kind. That must have been in 2021 or early 2022, not long after it had been published; I intended to get around to reading it, but other things intruded, I became busy, and, in any case, I misplaced it and did not know where it had gone. That happens with books in my house sometimes; usually it's in a pile somewhere, either of books or papers. In any case, I was doing some cleaning in anticipation of guests later this week, and I happened to find a few books under couch, one of which was Things We Lost to the Water. So now that I need a new fortnightly book, and by sheer happenstance have an unread book in hand that I intended to read a few years ago, Things We Lost to the Water is the next fortnightly book. As my entire knowledge of the book is based on a description I vaguely remember from a few years ago, I really don't know much about the book, but it's a book about a Vietnamese immigrant family trying to make its way in New Orleans.