Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Pelikan and Ricoeur

I see from Cliopatria that Jaroslav Pelikan and Paul Ricoeur are sharing the Kluge Prize. Since I've been on a Gifford Lectures kick recently, I'll note that both are former Gifford Lecturers:

Ricoeur, Oneself as Another. Edinburgh, 1985-1986.

Pelikan, Christianity and Classical Culture. Aberdeen, 1992-1993.

I've read both (about two years ago, I think), although both are authors who really deserve (and, especially in the case of Ricoeur, need) to be read more than once, so I have to go back and read them again at some point. Based on (what I recall of my) first impressions, though, both are worth reading. I wouldn't put either in the top tier of a list of best Gifford Lectures (which for me would include the likes of William James, Etienne Gilson, Stanley Jaki, and Iris Murdoch); but they would both be high up on the list.

Here's an interesting reflection by Pelikan on being a Christian historian. The SEP has a helpful entry on Ricoeur's philosophical views.